Order of Saint Vladimir for Non-Christians in 1788

See also https://asiamedals.info/threads/cri...-order-for-non-christians-he-never-got.23673/

One of the first mentions of the Non-Christians version of the Russian Imperial order that I've recently found in Catherine II and G. A. Potemkin personal correspondence.

From the report of General Tekelliya, see that Selim-Girey commanded against his own and took the banner*. To encourage this Genghis Khan offspring, would you care to arrange the Great [cross of the] Vladimir Order for him in the same way as you sent the Andreevsky Order [i.e. Sain Andrew order] to his uncle, so that there would be no cross anywhere. This is extremely necessary to give him importance.​

Most faithful and grateful subject
Prince Potemkin Tauricheski.
October 17, 1788​

Из реляции Генерала Текеллия усмотрите, что Селим-Гирей командует противу своих и взял знамя*. К ободрению сего чингисханского отросля не угодно ли будет Большой орден Владимирский так устроить для него, как Вы прислали Андреевский его дяде, чтобы не было тут креста. Сие много нужно, чтоб ему придать важности.
Вернейший и благодарнейший подданный
Князь Потемкин Таврический.
17 октября 1788​

*Khan's nephew Shagin-Girey Selim-Girey was accepted into the Russian service and rose to the rank of brigadier. Potemkin patronized him, like many other foreigners. Selim-Girey fought bravely in the corps of General Tekelliya, operating in the Kuban region, but in 1789 he fled to the Turks. Killed during the assault on Ishmael.

*Племянник хана Шагин-Гирея Селим-Гирей был принят в русскую службу и дослужился до чина бригадира. Потемкин покровительствовал ему, как и многим другим инородцам. Селим-Гирей храбро сражался в корпусе генерала Текеллия, действовавшем в Прикубанье, но в 1789 г. бежал к туркам. Погиб во время штурма Измаила.​

Екатерина Вторая и Г. А. Потемкин. Личная переписка (1769-1791).jpg

Source: "Catherine II and G. A. Potemkin. Personal correspondence (1769-1791)/Екатерина Вторая и Г. А. Потемкин. Личная переписка (1769-1791)"

"... I ordered the Vladimir insignias to be made for Selim-Girey according to your ideas; I don’t know whether you require the first class or the second class [1st and 2nd class "Large cross" had the same size], but since he has not yet reached the rank of general, I think that the second class would be enough for him. I’m afraid, which he doesn’t accept, since Shagin didn’t accept it either: I don’t think they attach to insignias the same kind of thought that our people have...

Goodbye, God be with you.
November 7, 1788."​

"... Я для Селим-Гирея приказала зделать по твоему представлению владимирские знаки; первый ли требуешь или второй класс - не ведаю, а как он еще не генеральского чина, то думаю, что и второй класс для него бы довольно. Опасаюсь, что не приимет, так как и Шагин тогда не принял же: оне к знакам, думаю, что не привязывают такую мыслю, как у нас люди имеют...

Прощай, Бог с тобою.
7 ноября 1788 г."​

• Tags
    order of saint vladimir order of saint vladimir 1st class order of saint vladimir for non-christians order of saint vladimir for non-christians in 1788 орден для лиц нехристианского вероисповедания орден святого владимира 1-й степени орден святого владимира для нехристиан орден святого владимира селим-гирея ордена лицам нехристианского вероисповедания ранний орден святого владимира для нехристиан