Order of Saint Andrew the First Called (and other Russian Imperial Orders) of John George Lambton, 1st Earl of Durham

John George Lambton was awarded with Saint Andrew order on June 8, 1837.

Cross was made by Immanuel Pannasch /IP/ in 1835.

Gold, enamel
Size 88 x 52.5 mm.

Order of Saint Andrew the First Called of John George Lambton.jpg

Order of Saint Andrew the First Called.jpg

Embroidered "Kapitul" breast star that was originally issued with the badge.
Size 82 x 82 mm.

Order of Saint Andrew the First Called.jpg

Privately commissioned breast star.

Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 77.5 mm.

Separate silver screw-plate engraved Rundell Bridge & Co. Jewellers to the Queen and all the Royal Family Ludgate Hill London. Circa 1837-39.

Order of Saint Andrew the First  Called.jpg

Saint Andrew order breast star by Rundell, Bridge & Co.jpg

Inside the case.

Another three privately commissioned breast stars of St. Andrew order.

Order of Saint  Andrew the First Called of John  George Lambton.jpg

Left breast star was made by Rundell, Bridge & Co.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 85 mm.

Order of_Saint_Andrew the First Called of John George Lambton.jpg

Under different light and with original case.

Right star was made by Nichols&Plinke https://asiamedals.info/threads/n-p...inke-anglijskij-magazin-nikols-i-plinke.28051

Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 86 mm.

Order of Saint_Andrew the First Called of John George Lambton.jpg

Under different light and with original case.

Reduced size breast star by Rundell, Bridge & Co.
Silver, gold and enamel.
Size 69 mm.
Engraved Rundell Bridge & Co. Jewellers to the Queen and all the Royal Family Ludgate Hill London.

privately  commissioned breast star of St. Andrew order.jpg

John George Lambton, 1st earl of Durham, also called (1828–33) Baron Durham, (born April 12, 1792, London—died July 28, 1840, Cowes, Isle of Wight, Eng.), British reformist Whig statesman sometimes known as “Radical Jack,” governor-general and lord high commissioner of Canada, and nominal author of the Report on the Affairs of British North America (1839), which for many years served as a guide to British imperial policy.​

John George Lambton, 1st earl of Durham.jpg

In mid-1835, the Whig government of Lord Melbourne decided that a new ambassador was needed in St Petersburg – there having been no British ambassador there since 1832 – and Durham was the obvious choice, especially for a government anxious to remove such a ‘loose cannon’ from British politics. Shelving his ambition to be Foreign Secretary, a post taken by a safer pair of hands in the person of Lord Palmerston, Durham accepted the appointment, although he wrote:

"I am put out of the pale of home politics. In this foreign field I may do some good, as I have considerable influence with the Emperor and may establish a better state of things between the two countries."

Durham was ordered to proceed to St Petersburg via the Black Sea and to take with him in his entourage naval and military observers whose task it was to note and assess Russian naval and military capabilities. His journey took him to another new European kingdom – Greece – recently emerged from another war of independence – from Turkey – and to audiences with another newly-elected – and also German – king, Otho I, formerly Prince Otto of Bavaria. Unlike Leopold of Belgium, Otho was young and inexperienced in statecraft; like Leopold, he was patriotically attached to his new kingdom but was in need of advice. Durham found the king of Greece neither intellectual nor good-looking but he was gracious and avuncular towards the shy young man, who clearly blossomed as a result. When writing to Lord Palmerston after Durham had left Greece, the British minister Sir Edmund Lyons said:

"I sat next to the King at dinner after the long private audience he had given Lord Durham, and it was evident to me that his mind was dwelling with pleasure on the picture Lord Durham had drawn of the advantages to bederived from free institutions in the development and resources of a nation emerging from centuries of slavery and oppression."

King Otho clearly appreciated the advice and support given by Lord Durham for, following their final audience, he conferred upon Durham the Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer on 28th August 1835.

After calling on the Sultan in Constantinople, Durham and his party crossed the Black Sea, disembarking at Odessa on 18th September. Following an audience with the Tsar in Kiev late in October, he reached Moscow on 30th October and arrived in St Petersburg on 5th November 1835. In the 1830s, as much as in 1939 – when Winston Churchill referred to Russia as "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma", Russia was barely known and still less understood in the West. Her naval and military capacities were regularly over-estimated and her intentions in foreign affairs were often exaggerated or falsified. Durham’s role, both self-defined and ordained by the British government, was to establish what Russia’s intentions were towards Turkey and any other areas, such as India, where her expansion might threaten Western spheres of influence; it was also to create a climate of mutual understanding between St Petersburg and London.

In all aspects of the defined role of his ambassadorship, Durham not only succeeded but also exceeded the best expectations of his masters in London – to the extent that inveterate British Russophobes believed that, in modern parlance, he had been ‘turned’ by the Russians. He wrote regularly to Palmerston, sending detailed reports on the strengths of the Russian fleets and of the deployment of troops, and his assessments of Russian intentions in territorial expansion. His reports were regarded in Whitehall as models of clarity and of good advice at a time when fear of Russian strength and intentions had assumed hysterical proportions: his conclusion was that, for all her vastness, Russia was too weak to be feared. Writing to him on 7th July 1836, Melbourne said:

"I consider you as rendering the greatest service to your country and the world by taking a sober and rational view... and by trying to check the extreme violence of feeling and the unnecessary prejudice and suspicion which prevail in this country."

At the same time as informing and reassuring his British masters, Durham retained the friendship and regard of the Tsar that he had gained in 1832. In 1835 he was able to confide to his diary that: "Personally, I am on the best terms with the Tsar..." One of his earliest – albeit uncritical – biographers, Stuart J. Reid, wrote of the rapport between the Tsar and Durham:

"It was a veritable triumph of personality. The Tsar Nicholas was a shrewd judge of men, and was quick to detect either flattery or dissimulation. Durham’s open nature, his palpable honesty, the moral courage which lurked beneath his conciliatory speech, his broad grasp of first principles, the practical bent of his quick mind, and the imagination which made the sympathy of his warm heart so effective, all appealed to Nicholas. Even Durham’s weaknesses, love of display, moody depression, the touch of hauteur which marked his bearing, and that strain of impatience which he was not able always to suppress, even in the atmosphere of a Court, were points of similitude between them which promoted mutual understanding."

The only point of serious discord between the Tsar and Durham was over the question of Poland, where Russian policies of oppression had provoked violent Russophobia in Britain. Since candid Russian ministers observed that Russia’s policy in Poland was little different to that of Britain in Ireland, and in any case Poland was within Russia’s sphere of influence, neither Durham nor Palmerston felt that it was a cause worth conflict and so it was largely passed over in the interests of maintaining harmony. In contrast, an area in which Durham was able to make beneficial changes was in that of tariffs, which British merchants found restrictive of trade: as a result of his representations at the highest level, these were relaxed and for many years Lord Durham was remembered "as the best friend that English trade had had at St Petersburg."​

Lord Durham’s embassy to Russia ended in June 1837. By that time, King William IV had, albeit reluctantly, come to appreciate the qualities that Durham had demonstrated as an ambassador and, perhaps conscious that on all Court occasions in Russia Durham would have worn the insignia of his two foreign Orders, decided that it was time that Lord Durham wore some outward mark of Royal approval: thus the King created Durham a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath, in the civil division of the Order, and this news was conveyed to Durham by Lord Palmerston in a letter dated 23rd May 1837. As Durham recorded: "I was never so surprised in my life." News of this honour must have been transmitted to the Tsar since at his final audience with Durham, on 8th June 1837, the Tsar indicated his wish to confer upon the departing ambassador the Order of St Andrew – Russia’s senior Order of Chivalry. In a letter to Palmerston of the same date, Durham
set out what had happened:

"The Emperor was pleased most graciously and cordially to congratulate me on the high mark of distinction which my Sovereign has been pleased to bestow upon me, and said: “I also am desirous to show the world in the most public manner my sense of the mode in which you have represented your Sovereign, and advocated the interest of your country here. I have therefore written to the King, my brother, and enclosed in my letter the Order of St. Andrew, requesting his Majesty to do me the favour of presenting it to you, in my name. It is the highest mark of my esteem that I have to bestow, and I beg you to consider it, not as a proof of my private regard, which you cannot doubt, but as a public testimony of my feeling towards your King, your country, and yourself in your public capacity.” His Imperial Majesty then placed in my hands a letter for His Majesty the King, which I shall have the honour of delivering on my arrival in England."

Durham left Russia on 10th June 1837: ten days later, while he was en route home, William IV died and Queen Victoria acceded to the throne. On 27th June, at Kensington Palace, the Queen invested Lord Durham with the insignia of the Order of the Bath, as she recorded in her diary:

"I conferred on him the Grand Cross of the Bath. I knighted him with the Sword of State, which is so enormously heavy that Lord Melbourne was obliged to hold it for me, and I only inclined it. I then put the ribbon over his shoulder."

Two days later, Palmerston wrote to Durham to send him the insignia of the Order of St Andrew, together with the Queen’s permission to accept and wear it. This information must have been conveyed to St Petersburg very promptly since Ralph Milbanke, a member of Durham’s suite left behind in the Russian capital who had recently seen the Tsar at Peterhof, where he presented letters from Queen Victoria to the Emperor, was able to write to Durham on 15th July 1837:

"...I assure you that he spoke of you in the most friendly & flattering manner & seemed much pleased that the Queen had presented you with the order of St André before the arrival of a letter which he had written to H.M on the subject."

On 1st July 1837 Queen Victoria appointed Lady Durham one of her Ladies of the Bedchamber. Durham must have felt that his family motto ‘le jour viendra’ (the day will come) was finally justified. Speculation was rife in society as much as at Westminster about what post might be found for Durham following his return from Russia; as Greville wrote in his diary on 29th June 1837:

"The eternal question in everybody’s mouth is what is Lord Durham to have, or if it is indispensable that he should have anything... After all, it appears to me that a mighty fuss is made about Durham without any sufficient reason, that his political influence is small, his power less, and that is it a matter of great indifference whether he is office or out."

If Durham’s day had come, his triumph was to be short-lived: his character and his health gradually combined to destroy him. Canada, divided between French-speaking Lower Canada and English-speaking Upper Canada, was in a state of crisis and Lower Canada ripe for the rebellion that finally erupted in December 1837. Durham was asked to become Governor-in-Chief and High Commissioner of Canada as early as July 1837 but was reluctant and only agreed in January 1838, following – as he was at pains to point out – a personal request by Queen Victoria to take up the appointment. In accepting the post, Durham made it plain that he would serve without salary but a furore erupted in April 1838 over the expenses of his proposed suite. The Times was loquacious on the subject over a ten-day period early in the month. Firstly, the newspaper questioned Durham’s credentials for the military aspects of the role and, secondly, observed that he would undoubtedly take to Canada both the autocratic splendour that had clearly turned his head at the Court of the Tsar and the severe methods of repression that he had, equally clearly, approved of when in Russia: his Russian decorations were, The Times implied, clear reward by the Tsar for Durham’s acquiescence in Russia’s oppressive policies in Poland. He was mocked by the newspaper as "Czar and Autocrat of all the Americas" and as a "Brummagen Napoleon", and attacked for his supposedly unpatriotic acceptance of foreign honours and particularly his Russian Orders: The Times regularly referred to him as "the noble Grand Cross of ST ANDREW". He was criticized for the size, splendour and cost of his proposed batterie de cuisine, for the number of paid military aides-de-camp that he had requested and for his ordering of numerous uniforms: the expression "gilt gingerbread" was used in condemnation of such apparent frippery. Expenditure of a type that would have appeared wholly normal to an aristocrat of Durham’s character and wealth about to set out on a mission in which he had been given almost dictatorial powers for the suppression of rebellion clearly irritated The Times but provoked no public reaction from that newspaper’s target. Given the size and nature of the expenditure undertaken by Durham in preparation for his Canadian mission, it was most probably at this time, in early 1838, that he commissioned the metal stars of his Orders of Knighthood, together with their boxes and their travelling trunk, from Rundell, Bridge & Co., Goldsmiths and Jewellers in Ordinary to Queen Victoria.​

Orders of   John George Lambton.jpg

Orders of    John George Lambton.jpg

Russian Imperial Orders of John George Lambton.jpg

Badge made by Immanuel Pannasch /IP/ in 1835.
Gold, enamel. Size 56 mm (including suspension loop) x 49 mm.

Order of St. Alexander Nevsky.jpg

Order of St. Alexander   Nevsky.jpg

Embroidered breast star that was originally issued with the badge
Size 82 mm.

Order  of St. Alexander Nevsky.jpg

Privately commissioned breast star made by Nichols&Plinke.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 93 mm.

Order of  St. Alexander Nevsky.jpg

Reduced size breast star made by Rundell, Bridge & Co.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 67.5 mm.

Reduced size breast star made by Rundell, Bridge & Co.jpg

Badge was made by Immanuel Pannasch in 1836.
Gold, enamel.
Size 100 x 62.5mm

Order  of the White Eagle.jpg

Order of the  White Eagle.jpg

Privately commissioned breast star made by Nichols&Plinke.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 84 mm.

Orde of the White Eagle.jpg

Badge made by Immanuel Pannasch (year mark unreadable).
Gold, enamel.
Size 51.5 x 46 mm.

Order of St.Anna made by  Immanuel Pannasch.jpg

Order of St.Anna.jpg

Embroidered breast star that was originally issued with the badge.
Size 82 mm.

Order of St.Anna made by Immanuel  Pannasch.jpg

Breast star made by Rundell, Bridge & Co.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 93.5 mm.

Order of St.Anna made by Immanuel Pannasch.jpg

Reduced size breast star made by Rundell, Bridge & Co.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 70 mm.

Order of St. Anne breast star.jpg

Privately commissioned 1st class cross of St. Anne order. with popular "black" (dark red) enamel.
Gold, enamel. Unmarked.
Size 59 mm (including suspension loop) x 53.5 mm.

Order of St. Anne an early black enamel Badge.jpg

Two gold brooches mounted with miniature breast stars of the Russian Orders of St. Andrew, St. Alexander Nevsky, St. Anne, British Order of the Bath, Belgian Order of Leopold, and Greek Order of the Redeemer.

gold brooche  mounted with miniature breast stars of the Russian Orders.jpg

gold brooche  mounted with miniature breast stars  of the Russian Orders.jpg

Stars made in silver, gilt and enamels.
Size of each star 19.5 mm, width 68.5 mm.

Miniature collar and badge of the Order of St. Andrew made by Wilhelm Kämmerer https://asiamedals.info/threads/min...st-andrew-the-first-called.22833/#post-348328

Collar and badge  of the Order of St. Andrew made.jpg

Collar and badge of the Order of St. Andrew made.jpg

The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Civil Division.
Privately-made jewelled and enamelled gold Grand Cross Sash Badge, 1837-38, probably by Rundell, Bridge & Co.
Size 64 x 45mm.

The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Civil Division.jpg

Breast star, probably by Rundell, Bridge & Co.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 86 x 79 mm.

The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Civil Division Rundell, Bridge & Co.  86 x 79mm.jpg

Order of Leopold, Grand Cross Set of Insignia, Civil Division.

Badge manufactured in France for Joseph Germain Dutalis of Brussels, 1832-33, with import mark.
Gold, enamel.
Size 103.5 x 68.5 mm.

Breast star probably manufactured by Rundell, Bridge & Co.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 87 x 80 mm.

Order of Leopold, Grand Cross Set of Insignia, Civil Division.jpg

Ferdinand Veldekens, Le Livre d’Or de l’Ordre Léopold et le Croix de Fer, Brussels, 1858, p 618, records that Lord Durham was created a Grand Cordon of the Order on 10 March 1833 as a "marque publique de satisfaction et d’estime de la part du Roi, et nouveau témoignage de l’amitié qui unit la Belgique au gouvernement de la Grande-Bretagne" and elsewhere that "La révolution de septembre et l’avènement du Roi Léopold trouvèrent dans Lord Durham le concours le plus sympathique." Lord Durham and Leopold formed a close friendship in 1816 and the two were to remain close for the rest of Durham’s life. He was one of the first four non-Belgian recipients of the Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold, the others being King Louis - Philippe of France, the Duke of Orléans and his younger brother, the Duke of Nemours. At the same time two other British subjects were honoured: Lieutenant John Hobart Caradoc (later Lord Howden of Howden and Grunston), who was made an Officer of the Order in recognition of his role as British Army Liaison Officer attached to the Belgian Army staff at the siege of Antwerp in 1832, and Lord George William Russell, who was made a Commander of the Order in recognition of his role in diplomatic liaison work between the forces of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and Belgium in August 1831; he was to receive the Grand Cross in 1840.

The following extracts are taken from Stuart J. Reid, Life and Letters of the First Earl of Durham, vol. I, London, 1906:

"A plentiful sheaf of the King’s letters reveals the heartiness of this friendship, and confidence which Leopold invariably placed in Durham’s advice and judgement."

"Durham was consulted at every turn of the Prince’s fortunes, and more especially over his delicate relations with the English Court after the death of the Princess Charlotte, the offer of the throne of Greece, and later, after his acceptance of the throne of Belgium, in the military struggle with Holland, and in the diplomatic relations of the newly constituted kingdom with Russia and France."​

Reduced size badge for neck wear, manufactured in France for Joseph Germain Dutalis of Brussels, 1832-33, with import mark.
Gold, enamel.
Size 68 x 40.5 mm.

Order of Leopold,  Grand Cross Set of Insignia, Civil Division.jpg

Smaller reduced size badge for breast wear, manufactured in France for Joseph Germain Dutalis of Brussels, 1832-33, with import mark
Gold, enamel.
Size 48 x 26 mm.

Order of Leopold, Grand  Cross Set of Insignia, Civil Division.jpg

One of the very first Grand Crosses of the Order of the Redeemer.

Sash badge, unmarked, of French manufacture.
Gold, enamel.
Size 103.5 x 72.5 mm.

Breast star, probably by Rundell, Bridge & Co. and commissioned circa 1837-39.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 82 mm.

Greece Order of  the Redeemer.jpg

Order of the Redeemer was established at the Fourth National Assembly of the Hellenes at Argos on 31 July 1829. It was proposed to bestow it upon freedom fighters of the War of Independence and Philhellenes who had either taken part in the War, or who had been active supporters of Greek Independence. For political reasons the Order did not progress beyond the resolution stage at the time.

On 22 May 1833, three months after the arrival of King Otho in Greece, a Royal decree implemented the 1829 resolution and the Order of the Redeemer was created. It was extended to include Greek and foreign subjects who had distinguished themselves in the armed forces or public administration, thus earning the commendation of the nation and throne.

In August 1835, whilst en route to St. Petersburg, Lord Durham visited Greece. Stuart J. Reid, Life and Letters of the First Earl of Durham, vol. II, London, 1906:

"The following day, August 27, he was received in private audience by the King. [Durham recorded that] It lasted two hours, during which I had to explain to him most minutely the theory and practice of the British Constitution, the powers of the Sovereign and of the Ministers, the House of Commons and the people - in short, all the machinery of our institutions. He seemed very anxious to be informed, but not very bright. I then returned home and sat with Sir E. Lyons, discussing our mutual business until dressing time. At seven we went to the palace, where there was a formal official dinner of Ministers, generals, &c. This lasted until eleven, was very hot, but went off well, and they all said they had never seen the young King so pleased or animated. They tell me I have made a most favourable impression on him. At twelve I was in bed, having been nineteen hours in constant action.

More sight seeing followed next day (28th), another dinner with the Greek Chancellor and a large circle of officials, a visit to General Church, and a final audience with the King, who was extremely gracious, and gave him, on taking leave, the Grand Cross of the Greek Order."

Breast star, probably by Rundell, Bridge & Co. and commissioned circa 1837-39.
Silver, gold, enamel.
Size 88 x 77.5 mm.

Greece Order of the  Redeemer.jpg

Reduced size badge for neck wear, unmarked.
Gold, enamel.
Size 65.5 x 41 mm.

Greece Order of the Redeemer.jpg

A personal letter from Lord Palmerston dated June 29, 1837 records Durham’s actual awarding with the Order of St. Andrew.

Letter.jpg

“My dear Durham, the Queen has commanded me to send you this Box, which was inclosed in the Packet you delivered to her the Day before yesterday, and which contains the Insignia of the Order of St. Andrew, conferred upon you by the Emperor of Russia, and, under all peculiar circumstances of the case, her Majesty has commanded me to prepare and answer to the Emperor’s letter, to say that her Majesty has given you Permission to accept and wear the Order.”​

• Tags
    emmanuel pannasch immanuel pannasch immanuel pannasch workshop john george lambton 1st earl of durham john george lambton 1st earl of durham awards mark ip order of saint alexander nevsky order of saint andrew the first called privately commissioned russian imperial order russian imperial awards russian imperial order st.alexander nevsky order made by pannasch st.andrew order made by immanuel pannasch джон джордж лэмбтон 1-й граф даремский иммануил панаш клеймо ip награды императорской россии ордена императорской россии русские императорские ордена графа даремского русский орден мастерской панаша