陸軍習志野学校将校- Narashino Army School Officer Commissioned Officer
+ makers mark.
Narashino Army School was a chemical warfare school. It was established at Narashino, Chiba prefecture, in 1933, under the auspices of the Inspector General of Military Education, and served as the principal training facility for both the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy. According to a US military intelligence report, Narashino was “splendidly equipped, well staffed, and effective in the fulfillment of its mission until the end of the war,” and graduated 3074 officers between 1939 and 1945. The training of Japanese soldiers in defense against gas warfare was well organized and well executed, and all Japanese troops and a large number of reservists received CW training.Footnote6 One overall significant shortcoming of Japan’s CW program, however, was that no separate, independent chemical warfare division with oversight of all CW activities in the military services was ever established, which ultimately resulted in a “failure to develop an integrated, balanced and coordinated program.” As a result, the Japanese military forces never achieved more than “a limited tactical capability” with chemical weapons.