Crown of the Grand Master of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem

Crown of the Grand Master of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem made in 1799 by Jacob Duval for Emperor Paul I.

Gold, silver, enamel, silk, velvet.
Height 29.4 cm; base 20.3 x 19.1 cm.
Moscow Kremlin Museums Collection.

Crown of the Grand Master of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.jpg

Until the death of the Emperor the crown was located in the Diamond Room of the Winter Palace. It was used during Paul's funeral after which she was transferred to the Chapter of the Order of Malta (in the Vorontsov Palace). Transferred to the Armory in 1827 by the order of Nicholas I.

Crown of the  Grand Master of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.jpg
Crown of  the Grand Master of the Order of St. John of  Jerusalem.jpg

On display at Moscow Kremlin Museums in 2012.

Crowns of the  Grand Master of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.jpg

Second (chronologically the very first one) "Crown of the Grand Master" is currently in Art Collections of the Sovereign Grand Order of Malta in Rome. Together with the Dagger of Faith and the State Seal it is included in the set of regalia of the Grand Master made by order of Paul I in 1798 and transferred in 1803 to the Order Council in Messina. The set also included the banner of the Order (lost). The regalia were handed over by order of Alexander I on August 21, 1803 by Knight of the Order Count Rachinsky.

Allegedly this crown wasn't well balanced and that is why the second crown was made.

Crown of the Grand Master of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.jpg

Together with Dagger of Faith and the State Seal.

dagger of faith and the state seal.jpg

Both crowns met for the first time (after 209 years) in 2012 at exhibition held in Moscow Kremlin Museums.

Famous Dagger of the Grand Masters of the Knights of St John, presented in 1565 by King Philip II of Spain to Jean de la Valette (currently in the collection of Louvre) was also exhibited together with crowns.

Dagger of the Grand Masters of the Knights of St John.jpg

Excellent craftsmanship.

Gold, steel, enamel.
Height 30.7 cm; width 7 cm.

Grand_Master_of_Malta's_dagger_(Louvre).JPG

Grand_Master_of_Malta's_dagger_ (Louvre).JPG

Grand_Master_of_Malta's_dagger__ (Louvre).JPG

Grand__Master_of_Malta's_dagger_ (Louvre).JPG