895764649_o.jpg

純銀 - pure silver.

895764652_o.jpg

Badge engraved by the owner.

5.jpg
6.jpg

源二郎 - Genjirou

松浦 - Matsuura

"Kikusui = Kamikaze pilot badge". Seriously?!

Yes, believe it or not this is another popular naïve attribution of this badge.

Indeed, when somebody hears Kikusui that spring immediately to mind Operation Kikusui (菊水作戦, Kikusui sakusen) - a series of suicidal air attacks by Imperial Japanese forces during the Battle of Okinawa against Allied fleets. However, even for person with vivid imagination it will be difficult to explain how and why these badges were made in such a large numbers (they definitely couldn't be labeled as "rare") at the very end of the war (we are talking about approximate 6 April, 1945 to 22 June, 22. 1945) and in pure silver.

Naturally the sellers (certainly not confused by above considerations) of these badges actively use this naïve association.

Typical example.

This is an authentic and very rare campaign badge, the Kikusui strategy was the name of the last big campaign effort to fight the allied forces (mostly American) from taking Okinawa which turned out to be a very bloody battle. The Kikusui name and symbol used for this last effort campaign came from the family crest (mon) of Masashige Kusunoki's who was famous 14th Century Samurai and great battle tactician. This will make an outstanding addition to any Vintage WWII or antique medal and badge collection.

Another popular "kamikaze trail" - submarines involved in kaiten operations.​

Submarine cabin of I-47.

Japanese_submarine_I-47_in_1944.jpg

On 8 November 1944, the Kikusui-tai Kaiten Group - made up of I-47 and the submarines I-36 and I-37 - got underway from Otsujima to conduct the first kaiten operation.

But all these kamikaze speculations are fruitless since Kikusui emblem wasn`t used only by kamikaze units.

For example Kikusui emblem was used by 22nd Sentai.

Plain with Kikusui emblem.jpg

Kikusui emblem.jpg

But even more often this crest was used (and not only by military) as a symbol of devotion and self-sacrifice.
Factory girl with pseudo "Kamikaze" headband with inscription "神風 - Kamikaze + Kikusui crest".

factory worker kikusui.jpg

With all that being said, this does not in any way mean that Kikusui emblem was used exclusively by military/civilian units during WW2.
The most active "users" of Kikusui mon always were (and still are) different Japanese religious organizations (the most probable issuer of these silver badges), patriotic societies and martial arts associations.

Minatogawa Shrine https://asiamedals.info/threads/badges-of-minatogawa-shrine.28082/

1.jpg

Kusunoki Masashige 600th Anniversary Festival https://asiamedals.info/threads/bad...hi-medal-works-tokyo-asahi.21789/#post-345489

大楠公六百年大祭記念.jpg

Youth League https://asiamedals.info/threads/dari-youth-league-member-p-badge.28168/

Dari  Youth League Member's Badge 達里青年団員章.jpg

Martial arts tournament of 1939.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Another Buddhist badge.

Japanese Shingon Sect Badge.jpg

金剛山 - Mount Kongo
顯彰會 - Shonsho - kai

Marked 純銀 - pure silver.

Japanese Shingon Sect  Badge.jpg

Etc, etc, etc.

Very close (by design) badge.

六ツ美会Mutsumikai.jpg
六ツ美会 Mutsumikai.jpg

Obverse

六ツ美会 - Mutsumi- kai (Religious Corporation)

Post-war school badge.

樟蔭学園校章バッジ.png

= 樟蔭学園 - Shoin Gakuen Fukushima High School

樟蔭学園 校章バッジ.png

• Tags
    badge with floating chrysanthemum symbol badge with the kikusui symbol floating chrysanthemum badge kamikaze badge kamikaze bogus kikusui badge pseudo kamikaze badge 菊水部隊 陸軍菊水部隊