Alexander I’s Breast Stars of St. Andrew Order combined with the Order of the Garter

Breast star from the collection of Hermitage.

Gold, silver, enamel.
Size 87 x 80 mm.

Nicholas I’s Breast Star of St. Andrew Order combined with the Order of the Garter.jpg
Nicholas I’s Breast Star of St. Andrew  Order combined with the Order of the Garter.jpg

"... Then Alexander I decided in 1813 to combine two octagonal stars of the highest foreign orders, with which he had been awarded, into one. It is possible that the Russian autocrat himself developed her sketch, and embodied the highest order in precious metal, most likely, it was St. Petersburg master Franz Frank. In the center of this star, instead of the scarlet cross of St. George, there was a black Prussian eagle, and around the round shield was bordered by a blue-enamelled ribbon with the motto of the English Order of the Garter, as if ending with a buckle ... "

See https://asiamedals.info/threads/ale...-combined-with-the-order-of-the-garter.25603/

Alexander I’s Breast Star of Prussian Black Eagle Order combined with the Order of the Garter.jpg

" ... Тогда Александр I решил в 1813 году объединить две восьмиугольные звезды высших иноземных орденов, которыми его успели наградить, в одну. Не исключено, что ее эскиз разработал сам русский самодержец, а высочайший заказ воплотил в драгоценном металле, скорее всего, именно петербургский мастер Франц Франк. В центре этой звезды вместо алого креста Св. Георгия красовался черный прусский орел, а вокруг круглый щиток окаймляла покрытая синей эмалью ленточка с девизом английского ордена Подвязки, как бы заканчивающаяся пряжкой ... "

----------- -------------- ------------- -------------- ------------- ----------- -----------

"In the shield of the special St. Andrew's star, from now on, as it was supposed to, there was a Russian imperial double-headed eagle, and a blue enamel ribbon with a golden French-language motto "Shame on those who think badly about it" still curled around."

В щитке же особой Андреевской звезды отныне, как и полагалось, красовался русский имперский двуглавый орел, а вокруг по прежнему вилась синяя эмалевая ленточка с золотым франкоязычным девизом «Да будет стыдно тому, кто дурно об этом подумает".

----------- -------------- ------------- -------------- ------------- ----------- -----------

“Four times in the accounts of Franz Frank, submitted to the “Wardrobe of His Imperial Majesty” only in 1819 it was noted that the St. Petersburg craftsman for 25 rubles “renewed the St. Andrew star and applied enamel to the ribbon", moreover the alteration of the “part of the ribbon” with the subsequent application of enamel cost the customer twice as much. At the same time enamel was also applied to the restored Alexander [Nevsky] Star (usually differing from Adrew star only in the motto and the image in the medallion), but there is not the slightest mention of any ribbon. Such a remarkable difference in wording allowed the Moscow researchers-custodians to assume that it was precisely this metropolitan artificer who, until his death, had the honor of creating combined order stars."

"Четырежды в счетах Франца Франка, поданных в «Гардероб Его Императорского Величества» только в 1819 году, отмечалось, что петербургский умелец за 25 рублей «Андреевскую звезду обновил и в ленту финифть припустил», причем переделка «части ленты» с последующим нанесением эмали встала заказчику вдвое дороже. Одновременно наносилась финифть и на реставрируемую Александровскую звезду (обычно отличавшуюся от Андреевской лишь девизом и изображением в медальоне), но о какой бы то ни было ленте нет ни малейшего упоминания. Столь примечательное различие в формулировке и позволило московским исследователям хранителям предположить, что именно этому столичному искуснику вплоть до его смерти принадлежала честь создания совмещенных орденских звезд."

Source.
Kuznetsova (2012) Petersburg jewelers of the 19th century. The days of Alexander's are a great start / Кузнецова (2012) Петербургские ювелиры XIX века. Дней Александровых прекрасное начало.

Petersburg  jewelers of the 19th century. The days of Alexander's are a great start.jpg

Same breast star before the restoration.

Nicholas I’s Breast Star of St. Andrew  Order combined with the Order of the  Garter.jpg

After the restoration.

Nicholas I’s Breast Star of St. Andrew Order combined with the Order  of the Garter.jpg

Breast star from the collection of Military Historical Museum of Artillery, Engineer and Signal Corp in St. Petersburg.

Gold, silver, enamel.
Size 83.5 x 77.7 mm.
Weight 63.08 g.
Length of the sword is 72.8 mm.

Alexander I’s  Breast Star of St. Andrew Order combined with the Order of the Garter.jpg

On display.

Alexander I’s  Breast Star of St.  Andrew Order combined with the Order of the Garter.jpg
Alexander I’s  Breast Star of St. Andrew Order combined with the  Order of the Garter.jpg

“Given to Alexander I by the “high and powerful” Crown Prince Karl Johan, the Order of the Sword consisted of the indispensable cross, star and ribbon, but a miniature sword was added to these insignias. It, as if jumping off the medallion of the order cross, additionally symbolized the first degree of the high Swedish award. Already from the end of 1814, instead of a bulky cross inside the medal bar, Alexander I began to hang a tiny sword with the tip up to the buckle of the ribbon of the British Order of the Garter, wrapping around the prongs of the star of the highest Russian order of St. Apostle Andrew the First-Called.

"Данный Александру I «высоким и могущественным» кронпринцем Карлом Юханом орден Меча состоял из непременных креста, звезды и ленты, но к сим знакам еще прибавился миниатюрный меч. Он, как будто соскочивший с медальона орденского креста, дополнительно символизировал первую степень высокой шведской награды. Уже с конца 1814 года вместо громоздкого креста в орденской колодке, Александр I стал подвешивать крошечный меч острием вверх к пряжке ленты английского ордена Подвязки, обвивающей зубцы звезды высшего русского ордена Св. Апостола Андрея Первозванного."

"Once, in the summer of 1816, during one of the voyages of Alexander I in the Smolensk region, the connecting ring, under the weight of the order suspension, probably slightly loosened. The sign of the Swedish military order that fell to the ground - a silver sword equipped at both ends with ears for sewing on, a finger long, and even flat on one side, was found in the grass by a noble undergrowth, who saw how something shiny flew off the autocrat’s chest, who went to pray in the temple, while horses were harnessed to the post office station. The boy's mother respectfully gave the filial find to the adored monarch, and the grateful Alexander I ordered not even one, but both youths of the poor landowner, the widow, to be sent to study at the state expense in the 1st Petersburg Cadet Corps. To the beneficent woman, stupefied with delight at the thought that her children would receive an education, the emperor, with a sweet smile, returned the tiny sword, adding that she should keep this gift, and when her eldest son received epaulettes, she would give the accomplished officer a badge of a foreign order in remembrance of memorable day.

"Однажды, летом 1816 года, во время одного из вояжей Александра I по Смоленщине, соединительное колечко под тяжестью орденской подвески, вероятно, слегка разжалось. Упавший на землю знак шведского военного ордена – снабженный с обоих концов ушками для пришивания серебряный меч, в палец длиной, да еще и плоский с одной стороны, – нашел в траве дворянский недоросль, увидевший, как что то блестящее слетело с груди самодержца, направившегося помолиться в храм, пока перепрягали лошадей на почтовой станции. Мать мальчика почтительно отдала сыновнюю находку обожаемому монарху, а благодарный Александр I повелел даже не одного, а обоих отроков бедной помещицы вдовы отправить на учебу на казенный кошт в 1-й Петербургский кадетский корпус. Облагодетельствованной женщине, обомлевшей от восторга при мысли, что ее дети получат образование, император, мило улыбнувшись, вернул крошечный меч, прибавив, чтобы она сохранила сей подарок, а когда ее старший сын получит эполеты, отдала бы состоявшемуся офицеру знак иноземного ордена в воспоминание о памятном дне."

Source.
Kuznetsova (2012) Petersburg jewelers of the 19th century. The days of Alexander's are a great start / Кузнецова (2012) Петербургские ювелиры XIX века. Дней Александровых прекрасное начало.

Alexander I with his breast stars.

Alexander I with his  breast stars.jpg

Alexander I with his   breast stars.jpg

• Tags
    alexander i awards and decorations alexander i’s combined breast star breast stars combined with the order of garter early breast star of st.andrew order early st.andrew order st. andrew order combined with garter st.andrew order st.andrew order breast star гартер александра первого звезда ордена андрея первозванного награды александра первого объединённая звезда александра i объединённая звезда первозванного и гартера объединённые звезды александра i