Orders of Saint George made by jewelers Louis Duval and Jean-Pierre Ador

The very first crosses of the Order of St. George were commissioned to the jewelers Louis Duval /Луи Дюваль/ and Jean-Pierre Ador /Жан-Пьер Адор/. By the end of 1769 Louis Duval had made 20 “large crosses of the military order” (i.e. crosses of 1st/2nd class) at 22 rubles each and 50 “small” ones (i.e. crosses of 3rd/4th class) at 18 rubles. Jean-Pierre Ador made 30 large crosses and 50 small ones. In December 1770 jeweler Duval were paid “1250 rubles for making one hundred crosses of the Order of the Holy Great Martyr George and seven cavalier stars”.

Between 1769 and 1806 only 42 "large crosses" of 1st and 2nd class were awarded. Currently three "large crosses" are known that almost certainly were manufactured by above mentioned jewelers.

1st class Order of St.George  awarded to Alexander I.jpg

1st class  St. George order of Duke of Wellington.jpg

1st class St.George order of Catherine II the Great..jpg

1st class crosses of Wellington and Alexander I have almost identical iconography.

1st class Order of St.George awarded to Alexander I.jpg
1st class St. George order of Duke of Wellington.jpg

Cross of Catherine II the Great has slightly different iconography.

1st class Order of St.George awarded to Alexander I.jpg
1st-class-st-george-order-of-catherine-ii-the-great-jpg.362718

1st class St. George order of Duke of Wellington.jpg
1st class St.George order of Catherine II the Great.jpg

• Tags
    1st class st.george order early order of saint george imperial russian military order jeweler jean-pierre ador jeweler louis duval order of saint george russian military saint george order большой крест ордена святого георгия награды императорской россии орден святого георгия орден святого георгия 1 класса орден святого георгия александра первого орден святого георгия екатерины ii орден святого георгия работы жан-пьера адора орден святого георгия работы луи дюваля ордена императорской россии первые ордена святого георгия ранний орден святого георгия