"Five Virtues of a Soldier" Commemorative Paperweight

8th Battalion Five Virtues of a Soldier Commemorative Paperweight.jpg
8th Battalion Five  Virtues of a Soldier Commemorative Paperweight.jpg

Reverse additionally engraved 第八大隊 - 8th Battalion

+ standard inscriptions

(1) 一, 軍人は忠節を盡すを本分とすへし
I. The soldier and sailor should consider loyalty his essential duty.

一 軍人は忠節を盡すを本分とすへし凡生を我國に稟くるもの誰かは國に報ゆるの心なかるへき况して軍人たらん者は此心の固からては物の用に立ち 得へしとも思はれす軍人にして報國の心堅固ならさるは如何程技藝に熟し學術に長するも猶偶人にひとしかるへ し其隊伍も整ひ節制も正くとも忠節を存せさる軍隊は事に臨みて烏合の衆に同かるへし抑國家を保護し國權を維 持するは兵力に在れは兵力の消長は是國運の盛衰なることを辨へ世論に惑はす政治に拘らす只々一途に己か本分 の忠節を守り義は山嶽よりも重く死は鴻毛よりも輕しと覺悟せよ其操を破りて不覺を取り汚名を受くるなかれ

I. The soldier and sailor should consider loyalty his essential duty. Those born in this land must be willing to show a spirit of grateful service to it. No soldier or sailor can be of service to our nation unless this spirit is strongly embedded within him. A soldier or a sailor lacking in this conviction, however skilled he may be in art or well learned in academics is a mere puppet; and a formation of soldiers or sailors wanting in loyalty, however well ordered and disciplined they may be, are no better than a rabble in an emergency. Remember that, as the defense of the state and the maintenance of its power depend upon the strength of its military, growth or decline of this military strength will directly affect the ebb and flow of the nation’s fortunes; therefore neither be led astray by public opinion nor meddle in politics, but single-mindedly devote yourself to the duty of loyalty, and bear in mind that duty is weightier than a mountain, while death is lighter than a feather. Never by failing in moral principle fall into disgrace and bring dishonor upon your name.

(2) 一, 軍人は禮儀を正くすへし
I. Military members are required to know how to show proper respect.

一 軍人は禮儀を正くすへし凡軍人には上元帥より下一卒に至るまて其間に官職の階級ありて統屬するのみならす同列同級とても停年に新舊 あれは新任の者は舊任のものに服從すへきものそ下級のものは上官の命を承ること實は直に朕か命を承る義なり と心得よ己か隷屬する所にあらすとも上級の者は勿論停年の己より舊きものに對しては總へて敬禮を盡すへし又 上級の者は下級のものに向ひ聊も輕侮驕傲の振舞あるへからす公務の爲に威嚴を主とする時は格別なれとも其外 は務めて懇に取扱ひ慈愛を專一と心掛け上下一致して王事に勤勞せよ若軍人たるものにして禮儀を紊り上を敬は す下を惠ますして一致の和諧を失ひたらんには啻に軍隊の蠧毒たるのみかは國家の爲にもゆるし難き罪人なるへ し

II. Military members are required to know how to show proper respect. According to rank that ranges from field marshal to private, and the various functions existing in between, the military is structured into a strict chain of command, and even among equal ranks, a clear notion of seniority in service requires one to obey another with more seniority. Orders subordinates receive from his superiors are to be interpreted as orders from me personally. Even if that superior may not be the one you are attached to, you must show respect and courtesy to all your superiors as well as seniors in service. In return, superiors must never slight his subordinates or behave arrogantly towards them. Unless a sense of dignity needs to be maintained and exhibited in public, the superior must otherwise prioritize treating subordinates with kindness, consideration and affection, so that all ranks may together jointly devote themselves body and soul to serving the endeavors of their Emperor. Military men incapable of courtesy and showing respect to his superiors or those without understanding for his juniors, causing disruption and disharmony are not only liabilities to the military forces, but are unforgivable criminals to the entire nation itself.

(3) 一, 軍人は武勇を尚ふへし
I. The soldier and the sailor should esteem valor.

一 軍人は武勇を尚ふへし夫武勇は我國にては古よりいとも貴へる所なれは我國の臣民たらんもの武勇なくては叶ふまし况して軍人は戰に 臨み敵に當るの職なれは片時も武勇を忘れてよかるへきかさはあれ武勇には大勇あり小勇ありて同からす血氣に はやり粗暴の振舞なとせんは武勇とは謂ひ難し軍人たらむものは常に能く義理を辨へ能く膽力を練り思慮を殫し て事を謀るへし小敵たりとも侮らす大敵たりとも懼れす己か武職を盡さむこそ誠の大勇にはあれされは武勇を尚 ふものは常々人に接るには温和を第一とし諸人の愛敬を得むと心掛けよ由なき勇を好みて猛威を振ひたらは果は 世人も忌嫌ひて豺狼なとの如く思ひなむ心すへきことにこそ

III. The soldier and the sailor should esteem valor. Valor has always been prized by us as a tradition. So citizens of our nation must all be familiar with this quality. Particularly those in military service have it as their occupation to face the enemy in battle, so they must never rest their sense of valor. However, there are distinctions of true valor [大勇] and petty bravado [小勇]. To be incited by mere impetuosity to violent action cannot be called true valor. The soldier and the sailor should have sound discrimination of right and wrong, cultivate self-possession, and form their plans with deliberation. Never to despise an inferior enemy or fear a superior, but to do one’s duty as soldier or sailor; that is true valor. Those who thus appreciate true valor should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valor and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.

(4) 一, 軍人は信義を重んすへし
I. The soldier and the sailor should highly value faithfulness and righteousness.

一 軍人は信義を重んすへし凡信義を守ること常の道にはあれとわきて軍人は信義なくては一日も隊伍の中に交りてあらんこと難かるへし信 とは己か言を踐行ひ義とは己か分を盡すをいふなりされは信義を盡さむと思はゝ始より其事の成し得へきか得へ からさるかを審に思考すへし朧氣なる事を假初に諾ひてよしなき關係を結ひ後に至りて信義を立てんとすれは進 退谷りて身の措き所に苦むことあり悔ゆとも其詮なし始に能々事の順逆を辨へ理非を考へ其言は所詮踐むへから すと知り其義はとても守るへからすと悟りなは速に止るこそよけれ古より或は小節の信義を立てんとて大綱の順 逆を誤り或は公道の理非に踏迷ひて私情の信義を守りあたら英雄豪傑ともか禍に遭ひ身を滅し屍の上の汚名を後 世まて遺せること其例尠からぬものを深く警めてやはあるへき

IV. The soldier and the sailor should highly value faithfulness and righteousness. That is already a universal requirement, but particularly military men without such qualities would not even last a day in the company of his peers. Faithfulness implies the keeping of one’s word, and righteousness the fulfillment of one’s duty. If then you wish to be faithful and righteous in anything, you must carefully consider at the outset whether you can really deliver. If you thoughtlessly agree to do something that is vague in its nature and bind yourself to unwise obligations, and then try to prove yourself faithful and righteous, your may find yourself in great straits from which there is no escape. It would then be too late for regrets. You must thoroughly consider beforehand whether you should take on the commitment and should you conclude that you are not in a position to deliver on such a promise, you should quickly refrain from committing. Ever since ancient times there have been repeated instances of great men and heroes who, overwhelmed by misfortune, have perished and left a tarnished name to posterity, simply because in their effort to be faithful in small matters they failed to discern right and wrong with reference to fundamental principles, or because, losing sight of the true path of public duty, they kept faith in private relations. You should, then, take serious warning by these examples.

(5) 一, 軍人は質素を旨とすへし
I. The soldier and sailor should make simplicity their aim.

一 軍人は質素を旨とすへし凡質素を旨とせされは文弱に流れ輕薄に趨り驕奢華靡の風を好み遂には貪汚に陷りて志も無下に賤くなり節操も 武勇も其甲斐なく世人に爪はしきせらるゝ迄に至りぬへし其身生涯の不幸なりといふも中々愚なり此風一たひ軍 人の間に起りては彼の傳染病の如く蔓延し士風も兵氣も頓に衰へぬへきこと明なり朕深く之を懼れて曩に免黜條 例を施行し畧此事を誡め置きつれと猶も其悪習の出んことを憂ひて心安からねは故に又之を訓ふるそかし汝等軍 人ゆめ此訓誡を等閑にな思ひそ
V. The soldier and sailor should make simplicity their aim. If you do not make simplicity your aim, you will become effeminate and frivolous and acquire fondness for luxurious and extravagant ways; you will finally grow selfish and sordid and sink to the last degree of baseness, so that neither loyalty nor valor will avail to save you from the contempt of the world. The spreading of such tendency in the military can clearly undermine discipline and morale like a contagious disease. I greatly fear such a possibility, which caused me to previously introduce impeachment rules to make that point, but will repeat myself here nonetheless because such thoughts trouble me without end. You must never take this word of caution lightly.​

Salty specimen without additional personalized engraving.

Five Virtues of a Soldier Commemorative Paperweight.jpg
Five Virtues  of a Soldier Commemorative Paperweight.jpg

• Tags
    8th battalion commemorative paperweight five virtues of a soldier paperweight japanese army paperweight japanese five virtues of a soldier paperweight japanese imperial army paperweight