Award Portrait of Peter the Great granted to Count Naryshkin

Gold, silver, diamonds, garnets, enamel.

Collection of Hermitage.

"Пожалован Государем Петром I Семёну Григорьевичу Нарышкину/Granted by Tsar Peter I to Semyon Grigorievich Naryshkin"

Портрет Петра I с дарственной надписью графу С.Г.  Нарышкину.jpg

Semyon Grigorievich Naryshkin /Семён Григорьевич Нарышкин; 1683 - 1747/ was a son of boyar Grigory Filimonovich Naryshkin. He was a second cousin of Tsarina Natalia Kirillovna. Due to his kinship, as well as his personal qualities, in 1692 he was appointed chamberlain to Tsar Peter I. In 1698, among the nobles of the great embassy, he visited Vienna and Berlin.
Семён Григорьевич Нарышкин.jpg

In 1707 he was in Lithuania on a diplomatic mission. In 1708 he was a captain in the Life Guards Preobrazhensky Regiment. He supervised the construction of the Velikiye Luki fortress .

He was the first in Russian history to be granted the rank of actual chamberlain (March 8, 1711); in the same year he was briefly sent to Florence He was repeatedly sent by Peter I on diplomatic missions:

1712 - to the Danish King Frederick VI with a letter from the tsar asking to speed up the opening of joint military operations against the Swedes;
to Vienna - with the order to conclude an alliance with Austria against the Turks;
attended the Braunschweig Congress at the same time he went to Carlsbad to meet with Peter I, who was there;

1714 - to the Polish King Augustus II;

1715 - to England to congratulate the English King George I on his accession to the throne.

He was involved in the case of Tsarevich Alexei, as a result of which in 1718 he was exiled to his distant villages with a ban on leaving them anywhere.

On May 21, 1725, the day of the wedding of Tsarevna Anna Petrovna with the Duke of Schleswig, Karl Friedrich, he was awarded the Order of Alexander Nevsky. In 1726, he was returned from exile by Catherine I, on April 6, 1729, he was promoted to lieutenant general and appointed chief chamberlain at the court of Tsarevna Anna Petrovna. In 1730, he was promoted to full general and soon retired.

On December 18, 1731, he was accepted back into service and appointed to Little Russia to oversee the activities of Hetman D. Apostol. He served with him in 1732–1734, and from June 22, 1733, he served as acting hetman. He had no children from his marriage to Anna Ivanovna Panina.​