Tirad Pass Order (a.k.a. Tirad Pass Medal)

President of the Japanese-occupied Second Philippine Republic José Paciano Laurel created the Order of Tirad Pass by Ordinance No. 16 on 27 April, 1944. It’s purpose was to give public and official recognition to members of the Philippine Constabulary who rendered distinguished and meritorious services and performed extraordinary acts of gallantry, courage, bravery, heroism, or devotion to duty.​

Bronze.
Size 43.5 mm.
Weight 35.79 g.

Obverse.

Tirad Pass Medal.jpg

On the obverse General del Pilar facing right, with mountains behind, surrounded by a laurel wreath. On his chest are minute letters J.P.L./1944 for the founder, President Jose Paciano Laurel. Around the outside is the motto "Firtitudo, Patna, Fidelitas/Bravery, Country, Loyalty".

The Order was named for the Battle of Tirad Pass, where on 2 December, 1899 Brigadier General Gregorio del Pilar (November 14, 1875 – December 2, 1899), was killed in a delaying action, along with his men. Gregorio Hilario del Pilar y Sempio was one of the youngest generals in the Philippine Revolutionary Forces during the Philippine Revolution and the Philippine-American War. He is most known for his successful assault on the Spanish barracks of Cazadores in the municipality of Paombong, his victory on the first phase Battle of Quingua and his last stand at the Battle of Tirad Pass. The very last entry in his diary:

"The General [Aguinaldo] has given me the pick of all the men that can be spared and ordered me to defend the Pass. I realize what a terrible task has been given me. And yet I felt that this is the most glorious moment of my life. What I do is done for my beloved country. No sacrifice can be too great."

Reverse.​

Tirad Pass  Medal.jpg

Original ribbon.

Tirad Pass Medal..jpg
Tirad Pass Medal ..jpg

Medals were manufactured by Crispulo Zamora workshop in Manila.

Original paper wrapper.

Tirad Pass Order.jpg
Tirad Pass  Order.jpg
Tirad  Pass Order.jpg

Another original medal with different paper packaging.

Tirad Pass Order.jpg
Tirad  Pass Order.jpg

Tirad Pass  Order.jpg

Only sixteen awardings (fifteen of which were posthumous) with the Order of Tirad Pass are known for today.
List of names were published in The Tribune on May 4, 1944.

The Tribune, on  May 4, 1944.JPG

"At the recommendation of the Board of Awards, although meant for members of the Constabulary, the first award went to General del Pilar.

The citation for General del Pilar read:

By virtue of Ordinance No. 16 creating the Order of Tirad Pass and upon recommendation of the Board of Awards and Decorations, the decoration of the Order of Tirad Pass is hereby awarded posthumously to General Gregorio H. del Pilar, immortal hero of Tirad Pass and basic inspiration for the creation of the Order, through Andrea H. del Pilar, his sister and closest surviving relative. Also upon recommendation of the Board of Awards and Decoration, a life annuity at the rate of P100.00 monthly is also hereby awarded to Andrea H. del Pilar.

The Republic of the Philippines, through the posthumous award of this decoration, hereby expresses a token of the Filipino people’s lasting obligation to the Heroic Tradition handed down by its heroes and martyrs and gloriously sustained, in a historic instance by General Gregorio H. del Pilaf at Tirad Pass. The Order of Tirad Pass, as recognition of military service involving the highest courage and gallantry in action, makes patent the will of the people to keep alive this Heroic Tradition for the inspiration of the living generation and of all posterity.

We also hereby enjoin Governor Pabalan of Bulacan province, now here to receive the decoration in the name of Andrea H. del Pilar, to convey to her our profoundest respect as living link to a notable family whose contribution to the cause of Filipino freedom remains a lasting distinction and a shining page in our history.

For conspicuous courage, gallantry, bravery and devotion to duty in the face of imminent danger to the extent of sacrificing their lives, the Order was posthumously awarded to each of the following members of the Philippine Constabulary who were all killed in action:

Second Ilocos Sur Company

1. Sergeant Antero Adela
2. Corporal Sergio Batang
3. Corporal Elpidio Bersamina
4. Corporal Marciano Javines
5. Corporal Constante de la Cruz
6. Corporal Dancio Lorenzo
7. Corporal Alfonso Ranan
8. Corporal Juanito Rosales
9. Corporal Daniel Vister

Second Negros Occidental Company

1. Sergeant Raymundo Ventosa
2. Corporal Loreto Japanda
3. Corporal Ludovico M. Bachoco
4. Corporal Emilio Ferrer
5. Corporal Engracio Narrajos​

Medal photo.

Photo of the Medal.jpg

Original medal.

Size 43.5 mm.
Weight 36.84 g.

Tirad Pass Medal.jpg

Tirad Pass  Medal.jpg

Awarding ceremony (photos were published by The Tribune on May 5, 1944).

Awarding.jpg

"For extraordinary courage and heroism displayed while discharging voluntary service as a member of the suicide squad to rescue some barrio inhabitants who were kidnapped, and as a result of which he lost in action one of his legs, Sergeant Sotero Esperon of the 6th Company, General Service Troops is hereby awarded the decoration of Tirad Pass. A life annuity or pension equivalent to the pay corresponding to his present rank plus such allowances as are authorized by annual appropriation for his rank shall be paid to Sergeant Sotero Esperon effective upon his discharge from the service of the Philippine Constabulary for physical disability".​

Awarding ceremony.jpg

Photos courtesy of the owner.

Tirad Pass Medal.jpg

Tirad  Pass Medal.jpg

Salty specimen.

Size 43.5 mm.
Weight 32.03 g.

Tirad Pass Medal.jpg

Tirad  Pass Medal.jpg

• Tags
    japanese occupation of philippines medal japanese puppet state medal japanese-occupied second philippine republic josé paciano laurel tirad pass medal tirad pass order